So you’ve decided to take the plunge. Congratulations! As a professional freelance content writer, the first thing you need to know is that there’s more to the job than just writing content or copy for living!
That’s certainly what I discovered, and what many of my students have discovered, on their freelance writing journey. It’s no longer enough to just be really good at what you do; you need to be able to run your business effectively too.
That’s why I put together this Ultimate Guide to Becoming a Freelance Writer in just 5 steps, to work through at your own pace. Feel free to start at the very beginning, or drop into whichever post that best describes the current stage of your journey.
Good luck, and may the freelance force be with you!
- Getting Started
- Content writing or copywriting?
- Everything you need to know about starting your own freelance writing business
- Finding and Working with Clients:
- Finding clients and freelance writing jobs – Where do you find clients?
- How to turn a ‘maybe’ into a ‘yes’
- Loads of little clients, or a few big earners?
- Knowing when to let a client go
- Freelance time management
- Developing Your Writing Skills
- How to write the best damn blogs of your life
- Website copy ahoy
- SEO and PPC FTW
- Email marketing – why you need to bother
- All about that social media
- Getting the Financial Side Down
- Setting your pricing and rates
- When do I need to declare my earnings?
- Keeping your biz finances separate from your personal ones
- What does an accountant do, anyway?
- Invoicing explained
- Scaling Your Freelance Writing Business
- Knowing when it’s time to scale
- Freelancers vs employees
- The art of delegation